Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gulati - Facebook


Gulati – Facebook

I liked how this article was direct in saying, “Facebook is making us miserable.” It made me think of a particular episode of South Park where one of the characters is feeling lonely and unimportant because he has but one friend on Facebook. He is compelled to tell his parents about all the things his friend is up too. His parents, unknowingly, acknowledge this new friend as a classmate their child plays with after school. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbPVSWqm2w  This inevitably leads to the mentioned problems as a result in the article.

                What surprises me the most is how often we get on Facebook. I’d notice that for no apparent reason, while reading an email or text, I would click the little blue “F” on my phone. This caused me to realize how much of the time I was just acting out of habit. Sometimes I’d completely forget that I looked at Facebook.  Along with this mindless checking and updating, I noticed, rather others noticed that I was only partially present.  (Mostly they wouldn’t notice. They were on their phones as well touché).

                Playing the devil’s advocate, there are benefits to using social networking. For instance, my family is spread throughout the states and we only see them around holidays. Calling is sometimes difficult. However, the desire to see what is going on in their lives is still there. When my sister was in South Korea, cell phones weren’t the best or cheapest way to communicate. We resorted to Facebook and Skype. This was really helpful. My sister could post pictures, comments, etc when she was able and on our time we could do likewise.

                In the last paragraph, the idea of quitting Facebook was thrown around. I thought about this and wonder how my social life would be impacted. I thought for only a week I would resist Facebook. I managed a week, and then it turned into two weeks. After a month and seeing no change, I thought it was time to “go offline” permanently. This was in September.  As much as I enjoyed the benefits, I found myself in one of those categories of decreased social (fill in the blank).


No comments:

Post a Comment